6 Pack Bags Diet Profile: The Zone Diet
THE ZONE DIET QUICK HITS
- What it is: A diet that works with the consumption of carbohydrates, protein and fat to reduce cellular inflammation.
- What you can eat: Lean meats, seafood, grains, lean dairy products, egg whites, fruits, non-starchy vegetables and some tree nuts.
- What you can drink: Water, milk and fruit blends.
- What you will see: The diet should lead to increased performance, weight loss, lowered blood pressure and lowered risk for heart disease.
When setting out to create The Zone Diet, Dr. Barry Sears wanted to achieve optimal body function, reduce blood pressure, regulate blood sugar and eradicate obesity. The basis of this diet is Dr. Sears' 40:30:30 ratio. This means 40% of a meal should be comprised of carbohydrates, 30% for fats and 30% for protein.
The Zone Diet does not put caloric restrictions into place with this ratio. In fact, dieters do not necessarily need to eat fewer calories as long as they are eating better calories. For example, one can eat the same amount of unprocessed foods, such as vegetables, fruits, or grains rather than the equivalent in sugary, processed foods to lose weight.
THE ZONE DIET SHOPPING CART
- Meats: Lean beef, pork, veal and lamb.
- Poultry: Chicken and turkey.
- Fish: Tuna, trout and halibut.
- Shellfish/Seafood: Shrimp, lobster and crab.
- Dairy: Low-fat milk and low-fat cheese.
- Fats: Avocados, olive oil, canola oil and light mayonnaise.
- Vegetables: Lettuce, celery, broccoli, cabbage, bok choy, kale, asparagus, mushrooms, cucumbers, olives, bell peppers and onions.
- Fruits: Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, apples, pears and oranges.
- Nuts: Peanuts, almonds, cashews and walnuts.
- Grains: Oats and barley.
THE ZONE DIET TIPS
- If it is necessary to snack or grab something on the go, there are many Zone bars and products in stores that make healthy snacks.
- Figuring out how much protein can be decided by your hand size. It should be equal to the width and thickness of your palm.
- Avoid all sugars, alcohol and caffeine for the entire duration of the diet.
By following these guidelines and packing your food into your meal management system daily, you are sure to build up your strength, and reduce your risk for ailments including diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure. The first step towards being fit and having a kick ass body is excellent nutrition. Don't let your diet weigh you down!
Photo Credit: Sharon Mollerus