Meal Prep Sundays: Stuffed Peppers
Who doesn't love the filling flavor of stuffed peppers? This weekend, get your meal prep in order with this deliciously healthy recipe for stuffed peppers, perfect to bring in your meal management bag anywhere you need to go.
Makes 6 servings (12 half-peppers).
6 large bell peppers, halved
1 large onion, diced
1-15oz can black beans or 15oz soaked black beans
15 oz frozen yellow corn or 3 roasted corn cobs (kernels only)
1 zucchini, diced
1 yellow summer squash, diced
1 jalapeno, diced
2 tbsp liquid aminos or soy sauce
2 tbsp sriracha sauce or hot sauce
1.5 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
4 cloves garlic, diced
1.5 lbs ground turkey or beef
1 cup pepper jack cheese
Â½ cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400Â°F. Using hands, lightly coat peppers with oil and place on a baking sheet or dish.
2. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes and let cool. Drain off any excess liquid.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil in skillet. Add onion and cook until softened. Add garlic, jalapeno, cumin and chili powder, cook for 30-45 seconds. Add liquid aminos/soy sauce and sriracha and stir. Add turkey or beef and cook, breaking meat apart until meat is cooked through. Add to a large bowl.
4. Add diced zucchini, squash, black beans, corn, and cilantro (optional) to bowl and mix.
5. When cool enough to handle, stuff mixture into the peppers and top with pepper jack cheese. Place back on the baking sheet/dish and cook for 15-20 minutes or until warmed through and the cheese is bubbling.
Macros Per Serving (2 halves):
Meal Prep Tip:
Stuffed peppers can be filled with just about anything you like and tailored to your tastes. Traditionally, the caps are cut off and the peppers are served standing upright. Try slicing the peppers lengthwise for an easier fit into your meal management bag containers.