6 Pack Fitness Guide to Healthy Grilling
Now that warmer weather is here, grilling has once again become a viable option when meal prepping items for your meal management system. Grilled food tastes fantastic and is easy to prepare, but some of the techniques you use may be sabotaging your energy levels. Follow these guidelines for healthy grilling to ensure your meals are delicious and packed with nutrition.
Healthy grilling begins even before you've fired up the barbecue. Choosing chicken or seafood over big cuts of pork or red meat is a great start. Both pork and red meat have much higher levels of cholesterol and saturated fat. Salmon is a terrific option for the grill as it is loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for reducing inflammation in the body, lowering cholesterol and pumping up brain power.
Recommended Healthy Grilling Meats and Their Benefits:
- Pork Tenderloin: If you need pork, choose a tenderloin. This lean cut typically only has 120 calories in a small serving size and has lots of B6 and B12 vitamins.
- Flank Steak: Lean and flavorful, flank steak is a tasty cut of beef that offers impactful proteins.
- Salmon: We've said it before and we'll say it again. You can't lose with salmon.
The way you marinate your meat could be backfiring on your otherwise healthy diet. Barbecue sauces and pre-bottled marinades include high levels of sugar. Cut that crap out of your diet. Test out this healthy grilling idea; try a simple marinade of olive oil, salt and pepper on red meat or a yogurt marinade for chicken. Yogurt marinades are low in cholesterol and will tenderize the meat. When you fill your 6 Pack Bags with naturally enhanced foods and skip chemically modified sauces, you will feel better and crush your workouts.
Whether you prefer starches, leafy greens or pod veggies, grilling vegetables is another exceptional option for enhancing your meal. Adding only a small amount of salt, pepper and olive oil for flavor, throw a large amount of vegetables on the grill and immediately balance out any meal. The proteins in grilled meats will aid in muscle recovery, while the antioxidants in vegetables will keep you feeling great long after the workout.
Recommended Healthy Grilling Veggies and Their Benefits:
- Peppers: Peppers are packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that improve function throughout the body. Spicy peppers include capsaicin, which helps boost metabolism.
- Onions: The vitamin-C and antioxidants in onions will help boost the body's immune system.
- Potatoes: The natural starch and carbohydrates in potatoes will help keep up your endurance throughout a workout.
Not only will these healthy grilling tips produce delicious, nutrient-rich meals, but they will boost your metabolism and fuel your workouts. Pack meals with these meats and vegetables in your meal management system to curb hunger and keep your energy up throughout the day.
Photo Credit: Frettie