Healthy Snacks for Super Bowl
We must admit that Super Bowl is one of the major calorie event of the year. We're not even sure if folks are doing it for the game or just for the food! LOL!
But, the feast that we'll consume doesn't have to be calorie-laden! As much as possible, I still want to watch my macros BUT still enjoy the game with some good food. It may come as a surprise... but, it is possible to have the best of both worlds. The key is to avoid mindlessly munching on snacks that are high in fat or sodium and instead, opt for these healthier options.
Before you head to the staple buffalo wings and loaded nachos, ask yourself:
"After working so hard to follow my meal plan, training hard at the gym, and keeping my discipline in check over the past weeks, do I really want to give that all up for this?€
Yes, there's all sorts of tempting treats €” crunchy chips, melty cheese, meaty goodness, and enough fat and calories to set you back almost an entire day. BUT are they really worth the damage?
Here are some recipes that will keep you and your guests satisfied for the entire Super Bowl without completely blowing your training diet:
Herby Avocado Hummus
- ½ large ripe avocado
- 1 15½-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- …“ cup tahini, well mixed
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated or smashed to a paste with flat side of knife on cutting board
- ¾ teaspoon (or more) kosher salt
- 10 cranks freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup cilantro leaves with tender stems
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas; for serving)
- Process avocado, chickpeas, tahini, lime juice, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and 1 cup cilantro in a food processor until smooth, about 1 minute. With the motor running, stream in 2 Tbsp. oil, then continue to process until hummus is very light and creamy, about 1 minute longer. Taste and season with salt, if needed.
- Transfer hummus to a shallow bowl. Top with pepitas, cilantro, and drizzle with more oil.
Do Ahead:Hummus can be made 4 days ahead. Transfer to an airtight container, cover surface with plastic, and chill.
Recipe Source: CLICK HERE
PICKLED VEGETABLE LETTUCE CUPS
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more
- ½ fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 baby beet, trimmed, scrubbed, very thinly sliced
- 2 radishes, trimmed, thinly sliced
- …“ cup buttermilk
- …“ cup whole-milk plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 heads of Little Gem lettuce, leaves separated, or 1 head of romaine, leaves separated, cut in half crosswise
- ½ cup cilantro leaves with tender stems
- ¼ cup torn mint leaves
- Combine apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, 1 Tbsp. kosher salt, and ½ cup water in a large bowl. Add fennel, shallot, beet, and radishes and let sit 10 minutes, then drain.
- Whisk buttermilk, yogurt, and lemon juice in a small bowl; season dressing with salt and pepper.
- Spoon some dressing onto lettuce leaves and top each with some drained pickled vegetables, cilantro, and mint. Serve with any remaining dressing alongside.
- Do Ahead: Dressing can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.
Recipe Source: CLICK HERE
So, whether you'll be the host for your Super Bowl party, or just want to enjoy a nice appetizer, these recipes will be a delicious and healthy alternative to the typical Super Bowl junk food.
If you want to take your fitness game to the next level, having a 6 pack lunch is a staple!
My 6 Pack Fitness Bag essentials are:
- Protein shakes
- Quest protein bars
- And of course, my prepped meals!
- Grilled Chicken Breast, Mashed Sweet potatoes & grilled asparagus
Another tip to stepping up your fitness game WHILE enjoying Super Bowl is doing a little exercise during the commercial breaks. Doing so can add up to almost 20 minutes of fitness for every hour of TV you watch!!! Isn't that insane? A quick, effective workout you can do are jump squats, burpees, or a powerful upper body plank.
Fun Charlene exercises are actually pretty fun too! Every first down is 20 pushes for guys and 20 squats for girls. This can be a high-intensity sweat fest like this one should also help lower your glycogen levels.
So, there you go, some of my SUPER BOWL essentials! Weather If you live and breathe fitness, or you just want to choose simple wellness, these tips are be helpful for everyone!